In 2017, Anne Arundel County announced an unprecedented $1 million investment in forest protection. Since the beginning, $2.3 million in grants have been made through this program for seven landowners to protect 411 acres of priority forest, fields and wetlands.
Partnering with the Chesapeake Bay Trust and the Scenic Rivers Land Trust (SRLT), the county is using existing Forest Conservation Act funds for the innovative grant program to provide landowners with cash incentives to put conservation easements on forested properties or properties appropriate for tree planting. Forest Conservation Act funds come from fee-in-lieu payments from developers when trees must be cut down for development and cannot be replanted onsite.
Features of this program include:
- Payments of $3,000+ per acre
- Landowners still own and enjoy their land
- Assistance provided for forest management
- No public access required
- Land must be placed in a perpetual conservation easement with SRLT.
For more information, Contact Rick Leader at Rick@SRLT.org or 410-310-6541